Homemade ‘Greenies’ Recipe
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1/3 cup flour (plus more for dusting) * If your yorkie is sensitive to wheat/wheat gluten, brown rice flour and potato flour are good alternatives to flour.
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1/8 cup fresh mint leaves (about 10 leaves)
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons low-sodium soup stock (or beef broth/chicken broth)
- 1 tsp chlorophyll
Chlorophyll helps freshen breath both by eliminating odors in the mouth and by promoting a healthy digestive tract. Poor digestion being a primary reason for bad breath. We grow our own wheatgrass and juice it for shots and fruit smoothies. It packs a hardy chlorophyll punch! No time or inclination to grow wheatgrass? No problem, you can find it powdered at Whole Foods, GNC and Vitamin Shoppe.
Place all ingredients in a food processor. Process until the chickpeas are very fine and the dough is well mixed. (Scrape down the sides when needed.)
Using the additional flour, lightly flour your work surface, then roll the dough out and use cookie cutters to shape the dog treats.
Bake for 30 minutes in a 300-degree oven until crisp and lightly browned on the edges. (For added crispness, leave treats in the oven to cool, with the oven door slightly ajar.)
More Benefits of wheatgrass for pets:
- Nutritionally complete
- DNA repair
- Blood cleansing and building abilities of chlorophyll
- Builds blood and stimulates circulation
- Stimulates and regenerates the liver
- Deodorizes body
- Cleans the digestive tract
- Fights infection and disease
- Helps with colon health and stool problems
- Helps with oral health and gum disease