Can dogs drink water with algae?

Dogs can develop poisoning when they drink from, or even simply swim in, contaminated water sources. If blue-green algae is ingested, it can cause severe neurologic or liver damage. Signs of blue-green algae toxicity include: Seizures.

What does green algae do to dogs?

The types of toxins produced by blue-green algae may vary, and so can their effects. These effects can range from dribbling, tiredness, vomiting and diarrhoea (both of which may be bloody) to effects on the heart and blood pressure, convulsions, problems breathing or organ failure.

Is it safe to drink water with green algae?

Algae-affected water may not be suitable for drinking, recreation or agricultural use. Contact with affected water can cause skin irritation, mild respiratory effects and hayfever-like symptoms. Ingesting toxins can cause gastroenteritis symptoms, such as vomiting, diarrhoea, fever and headaches.

IT IS INTERESTING:  What does diabetes look like in dogs?
Dog lover's blog